Checkups and Cleanings – York, PA
Maintaining a Healthy and Clean Smile
The American Dental Association recommends that everyone visits their dentist at least twice a year for a cleaning and checkup. Some individuals believe that doing so is excessive and expensive. They reason that they can take care of their teeth on their own. However, such thinking is dangerous. Routine dental appointments are actually a critical component of maintaining your oral health! On this page, you will discover why that is so and what you can expect during your next cleaning and checkup visit.
Why Choose York Smile Care for Checkups and Cleanings?
- Convenient Evening Appointment Times
- Experienced, Friendly, and Thorough Team
- Personalized Coaching on Oral Hygiene
Why Are These Appointments so Important?
Plaque is a sticky film that forms on teeth as a result of bacteria interacting with the food you eat. Plaque is rather soft, making it easy to remove with a toothbrush. However, the longer it stays on teeth, the harder it becomes. If you continually miss even a small spot when you are brushing your teeth, the plaque there will become tartar, which is impossible to remove with at-home tools. You will require a professional cleaning to get rid of it.
Moreover, checkups are essential because they give Dr. Cyriac the opportunity catch oral health problems while they are still in their early stages and relatively simple to treat. Remember, problems like gum disease and tooth decay often do not present obvious symptoms at first. If you wait until you are in pain to seek professional care, you might end up needing extensive treatment.
What Will Happen During Your Appointment?
All of the following may happen during your appointment:
- We will take some X-rays of your teeth so Dr. Cyriac can get a glimpse of what is happening beneath your gumline.
- One of our talented hygienists will clean and polish your teeth. They’ll keep an eye out for any signs of developing oral health problems and discuss their findings with Dr. Cyriac. They’ll also give you coaching on how to care for your teeth at home and may make a few product recommendations.
- A member of our team will perform a visual and tactile examination to check for possible indications of oral cancer.
- Cyriac will personally examine your mouth and answer any questions you have. If he recommends that you receive any type of restorative treatment, he’ll explain what you can expect from the procedure.
These appointments are usually very comfortable and take place without the use of anesthesia. You may be in our office for 1 – 2 hours.
Caring for Your Teeth Between Cleanings
Following diligent standards for at-home oral care will make your routine dental appointments as easy and quick as possible. Here are some tips to help you look after your smile on a daily basis:
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Be sure to clean the backs of your teeth and the area along the gumline.
- Floss once a day.
- Avoid tobacco usage.
- Eat a balanced diet that is low in sugar and acid.
Is it time for your next dental cleaning and checkup? Contact us today to schedule your appointment!
I Need a Checkup & Cleaning I Need a Dentist for My Child I am Concerned About Snoring/Sleep Apnea I am in Pain & Need Help I Have a Cavity or Broken Tooth I am Missing One or More Teeth I Want a Straighter Smile I Want to Enhance My Smile I am Nervous/Afraid of the Dentist View Our Services